Our San Antonio Headquarters Campus, a 1.2 million square foot ‘recycled’ shopping mall, was originally built in 1976 and subsequently abandoned in the 1990s. Rackspace redesigned and built to the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold for Commercial Interiors.
- The San Antonio facility leverages daylight harvesting, occupancy sensors and raised floor throughout the building delivers efficient cooling.
Water & Waste
- Water efficient fixtures
- Recycled 3,500 tons of original mall materials eliminating landfill
- Common areas: Soda fountains eliminate cans, Low Waste Plates/Cups, Hydration (filtered water) and Recycling stations. Green Cleaners used at "Fueling Stations" throughout the building
- We perform annual air quality and energy efficiency audits
- Bathrooms equipped with Dual Flush Toilets, Sink Sensors, Dyson ‘AirBlade’ Hand Dryers in restrooms eliminate towels
- Rainwater cistern supplements irrigation and toilet flushing; reduces facility water use by 30% (will save 10 million gallons of water per year). A second cistern to collect condensate is planned for 2012
Commute & Business Travel
- 44% of our more than 80 rooms are equipped with state of the art global video conference system to enable Rackers to be in more places at once to lessen business travel costs and carbon
- We have united our San Antonio Rackers at the Castle reducing facility and employee commute costs
- Maintain a shuttle service for San Antonio & Austin employees to reduce commute-related emissions
- Preferred Parking spaces encourage Carpooling & Fuel Efficient vehicles; Showers & Bike racks near our campus gym also promote outside exercise and commuting (walk, bike, and blade)